Thursday, February 6, 2014

At Loose End

Today after I finished my book I found myself at a loose end. The book was The Glass Room by Simon Mawer and its story is loosely based on the history of Villa Tugendhat in Brno, Czech Republic. The book is originally in English but I got (it was a gift) a Czech translation. It was a weird thing, I couldn't image the book in English, it sounded so Czech-ish.




The place looks amazing and it's really close to my dream home - lots of light and space with terrific view. I really hope that I'll have a chance to visit - let's face it - Brno is only two hours away. But the story - I don't know if I liked it. It left me crying at the end and totally emotionally drained. I am still not sure if I like these kinds of books or not.
Then I was standing before my bookcase, seeing all these books I've bought and still haven't read. I was contemplating reading Murakami or one of my classics (Milton or Dickens) I got for Christmas, I laughed again when I saw Kafka's Metamorphosis (the book was HILARIOUS!!! I am pretty sure that that wasn't author's intention and I might be a huge dolt admitting it was so ridiculous but give it a try - maybe, you'll find it funny, too), I read some Keats' poems (I like them because they're so straightforward) and at the end I settled on Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses. But then I decided that my finding out why this book caused fatwa being called upon the author can wait a little bit and I did something remarkable! - I sat behind the piano!
After few songs and leafing through my music I happily exclaimed and started to play this. I don't know where and when and why but we (me and my man) have a favourite song - and it's I'll Make a Man Out of You from Disney's Mulan. I know that now you'll think us even weirder (is it even possible? :D) but this song makes us generally happy! Every single time one of us starts to sing it, the other one joins in and we'll end in big finish - ...OUT OF YOUUUUU!!! I already feel sorry for our future children!

No comments:

Post a Comment