Thursday, December 5, 2013

Fish & Chips (paleo style)

When I find some food I loooove, I would (am) able to eat it every single day! (As I did when I was at uni - I am looking at you - pasta with cheese.) But considering I am no longer cooking just for myself I try to contain myself and just cook it only once a week (a huge concession in my book). The last food I fell in love with was this Kumquat's Fish & Chips. They are incredibly delicious. AND whole30 friendly. And delicious. What more could a girl ask? I usually whisk a bowl of home mayo to go with it and forgo the coriander (my man is not a fan, unfortunately). But they are delicious, I am telling you.
Recipe:
3 tsp paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp cayenne powder
olive oil
1 sweet potato cut into fries
salmon fillets

First, preheat oven to 200°C. Mix your spices. Peel and cut your sweet potato (potatoes in my case, did I mention I am ravenous for this food and that it is delicious?) into fries, toss in a large bowl with olive oil and enough of the spice mix. Painstakingly (tongue hanging from one side of the mouth because of the concentration) put the fries on the baking sheet so they don't touch. Ta-daaa!


Bake for 15 minutes . Then turn each and every fry and bake from the other side for another 15 minutes. (This is where the "painstakingly" comes in because every time I turn them I managed to burn my hands on the baking tray!)

Meanwhile toss your salmon with olive oil and the second half of the spice mix. After first 15 minutes I take out the baking tray for turning fries, I quickly put salmon on the top shelf of the oven. After fries are turned I put the baking tray back. Thus salmon bakes for 20 minutes (approximately) and fries additional 15 minutes. And they are done at the same time (it is a super-duper time management skill).


The last 15 minutes I multitask and whisk my home made mayo. I add a little bit of lemon juice, Dijon mustard and salt to my whole egg that was warming up in the bowl on the counter for the last (at least) 30 minutes. I slowly add olive oil (it is important to add some light tasting olive oil otherwise the mayo will be too coarse tasting -as in it will be yuk - I use Borges Extra Light Olive Oil) and whisk it on high and add olive oil and whisk and add olive oil and whisk and... you catch my drift. Trust me, the home made mayo sounds harder to make than it really is. You just have to have a warmed-up egg, enough olive oil and whisk fast. That's it.




And it's done!


And then you call your significant other to dinner and he says he has to go because it is already 7 o'clock and boys will be waiting for him and he has only like three minutes. And since IT IS fish and chips you offer to pack it for him into a newspaper - like they do in UK as their national dish. And he answers - More like a national disaster - quoting amazing movie 51st State. The only thing I could manage was - I ain't even mad.

SK
Akože ryba a hranolčeky - anglické to národné jedlo, ale že v tom onom paleo štýle
Keď nájdem nejaké jedlo, ktoré si zamilujem, bola by som (som) schopná ho jesť každý boží deň (pamätám sa na časy na univerzite, keď som každý deň jedla cestoviny so syrom, ehm). Avšak berúc do úvahy že už nevarím len sama pre seba, snažím sa vspratať do kože a variť moje obľúbené jedlo len raz do týždňa (čo je odo mňa veľká obeta, no nie?). Posledné jedlo, do ktorého som sa takto zamilovala boli tieto Fish and Chips od Kumquat. Sú neuveriteľne chutné. A spadajú do whole30. A sú vážne chutné. Čo viac si dievča môže želať? Zvyčajne k nim rýchlo ušľahám za misku domácej majonézy a vynechám koriander (ktorý moj muž nanešťastie neľúbi). Ale aj tak je to nehorázne chutné.
Recept:
3 lyžičky papriky
2  lyžičky cesnakového granulátu
2  lyžičky čierneho korenia
2  lyžičky soli
1  lyžička mletej rasce
1  lyžička koriandru
1/4  lyžičky kajenskej papriky
olivový olej
1 sladký zemiak nakrájaný na hranolčeky
lososvé filety

Vyhrejeme rúru na 200°C. Zmiešame korenia v malej miske. Ošúpeme a nakrájame sladký zemiak (v mojom prípade zemiaky - už som spomínala že sa tohto jedla neviem dojesť a že je vážne chutné?) na hranolčeky, vo veľkej miske polejeme oliovým olej a posypeme dostatočným množstvom koreňovej zmesi a premiesime rukami. Veľmi dôkladne (tak že máme vyplazený jazyk nabok úst od toľkej koncentrácie) poukladáme na papier na plech tak aby sa hranolčeky nedotýkali.
Pečieme 15 minút. Potom plech vyberieme a otočíme každý jeden hranolček a pečieme ďalších 15 minút.
Zatiaľ si pripravíme lososa - super náročné - rovnako ako hranolčeky ho obalíme olivovým olejom a zmesou korenia. Keď vyťahujem plech s hranolčekami, rýchlo na horný šuflík do trúby šupnem lososa. Keď pootáčam hranolčeky a vrátim plech do trúby, tak sa mi v podstate pečie losos 20 minút a hranolčeky 15 - a obe sú hotové naraz.
Posledných 15 minút si rýchlo vyšľahám domácu majonézku. Pridám trochu citrónovej šťavy, dižonskej horčice a soli k celému vajíčku, čo sa mi v miske zohriavalo aspoň posledných 30 minút. Pomaly pridávam olivový olej (dôležité je použiť nejaký ľahko chutiaci olivový olej, ináč to bude také príkre na chuť - akože to bude jednoducho hnusné- ja používam Borges Extra Light Olive Oil) a mixujem na vysokej rýchlosti a pridávam olivový olej a mixujem a pridávam olivový olej a mixujem... proste chápete. Verte mi, napriek tomu, že domáca majonéza vyzerá náročne, len to tak vyzerá. Dôležité je mať nie studené vajíčko, dostatok olivového oleja a rýchlo mixovať. To je celé.


No comments:

Post a Comment