Saturday, February 9, 2013

Gordon Ramsay's Chicken with Peas Petit Pois a la francaise (Paleo)

Sometimes I am a real workaholic and sometimes I manage to waste a whole week. This week I was latter and I didn't even go to the office on Monday and Thursday! Of course I blamed the government for not issuing tax returns reports for 2012, yet and that I was unable to actually start with the returns. And thus when they DID issue them on Friday, I decided to change my lazy Saturday into working Saturday. And I needed something yummy to ease the pain of it.
So today (Saturday) I woke up pretty early and started cooking a delicious chicken dish according to Gordon Ramsay (and me).



Ingredients:
4 large chicken legs or 1 jointed chicken
salt and pepper
olive oil
2 carrots, cut into cubes
2 celery sticks, cut into cubes
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
few sprigs thyme
2 bay leaves
150 ml dry white wine
800-900 ml chicken stock
handful parsley, chopped

PETIT POIS A LA FRANCAISE
2 tablespoons olive oil
150 g small pearl onions or onions cut into quarters
few sprigs of thyme
1 bay leaf
100 ml chicken stock
500 g peas
50 g butter
2 lettuces or 1 kale, shredded



In a large pot heat the olive oil, season your chicken legs with salt and pepper and fry on medium heat till golden brown. It should look something like this:




Remove the chicken. Add the carrots, onion, garlic, thyme and bay leaves to the pot. Stir and cook over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes until the vegetables are beginning to soften. Pour in the white wine, return the chicken into the pot, pour in chicken stock to cover it all and bring to boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer and cook for 20 minutes. 


While you wait, you can take a shower, have a quick paleo breakfast while reading your BBC History Magazine you finally got in the mail:



After 20 minutes remove your chicken, the last 10 minutes cook just the stock. Strain the stock through a fine sieve,  discard the vegetables and return the stock and chicken into the pot.


Meanwhile you can prepare your petit pois.




Heat the olive oil in another pot, add the onions, thyme and bay leaf and saute over a medium heat for 5 minutes. 

Tip: I have a little LIFE CHEAT for fresh herbs like thyme. Since I am horrible at gardening and I killed every basil, rosemary, thyme of mint plant I've ever had, I always buy fresh herbs, put them into zip-lock bag (you can see it in the picture) and stuck it into freezer. And then whenever I need fresh herbs, I just take it out. 
Add the stock, peas and some salt and pepper. Simmer gently for 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the butter and finally, mix through the lettuce and heat briefly until wilted. 



Serve the chicken with peas and a generous sprinkling of chopped parsley. Or in my case, take a picture, put it into plastic container and head for work.


No comments:

Post a Comment